To start with, here are some jokes to cheer up your week:
- Did you know you can keep track of your age by checking your underwear size? Little Luke said his shorts read 4-6 years.
- When Grandpa reported that he was 62 years old, his grandson asked, "Wow! Did you start at one?"
- After swatting mosquitoes in Nauvoo without success, one youngster suggested as the sun set that the swatter might as well surrender ... the mosquitoes were now coming out with flashlights.
- One kindergartner reprimanded her teacher after an oral inquisition of reporting what various colors were and then replying, "I think you should figure out some of the colors yourself."
We had a rather different lesson for our missionary training meeting this week. We talked about the concerns the church has on the country's new definition of marriage and how we can field answers to questions. Following are some of my notes which are also mixed with some of my own observations.
But first I have to tell you that knowing my topic for you this week, I looked for opportunities to take pictures of families playing together.
I fear that I got a little carried away with families galore in Pioneer Pastimes.
Not to worry...I only gave you a taste of what I took, but aren't they cute?D&C 130: 20 "There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—"
he family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children. See Family Proclamation
This is not dangerous doctrine to society. The church is 100% behind all citizens around the world having equal housing, equal opportunity for employment, equal healthcare and equal probate. See Response to Supreme Court ruling
There are possibly some very devastating ramifications that could follow the passing of the recent Supreme Court decision on marriage.
- Churches with our values may be judged as bigoted and disallowed their tax exempt status.
- The school curriculum throughout the country could change in an attempt to "educate" our children with disregard to individual family morals and values.
- Laws may be established limiting free speech in regards to different opinions about same gender attraction including social media. (As you know, loss of jobs has already resulted from individuals expressing their disapproval. Can we possibly tolerate laws that punish rather than protect freedom of speech in this regard?)
In 1960 5% of children were born to unwed mothers. In 2015 40% of births were to unwed mothers. Remember, children of single parents have a drastically higher potential for poverty. (I missed the statistic.)
Childhood psychological disorders have increased 1000% in the past 50 years.
Wherefore teach it unto your children, that all men, everywhere, must repent, or they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God, for no unclean thing can dwell there, or dwell in his presence;" . Moses 6:57
For more information check out this talk Why Marriage Why Family
What a fun surprise...one of my former seminary students, Sherilyn McGinnis found us after Sunset by the Mississippi last night to introduce her new husband, Devin Cobia who was a Young Performing Missionary last summer. Sunset is now officially over so we celebrated by playing card games with the young Cobia couple.
As I was reading the Book of Mormon this week another principle jumped out at me. See Alma 12:8
In summary, Zeezrom had become a bitter enemy of the Church of God. He was convincing people that it is impossible to know of things to come. Therefore, no one can know that Christ would come into the world. As Alma and Amulek taught Zeezrom how they had come to know these truths, Zeezrom began to ask questions. Therein lies the principle. How many times do the scriptures--both the Holy Bible and the Book of Mormon tell us to "ask and ye shall receive"? The Lord won't pour down knowledge and understanding unless we ask for it. It's as simple as that.
So the invitation is for you to think about what you don't know about heaven and earth, about your purpose on earth, and the nature of God. What don't you know or understand that has become a stumbling block? Then, will you ask in sincere prayer for the answers?